SkyDemon Forums

Adding a relative waypoint.

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic3184.aspx

By vfr-uk - 6/5/2011 4:44:34 PM

Is it possible to add a user waypoint that's relative (to a VOR say), just by clicking on the map? I'll explain further to clarify...

If I'm routing to a waypoint, sometimes i'd like to know what radial/distance the waypoint is from a certain VOR, for labelling convenience on the plog.

When you add a waypoint using the relative bearing function, it does just what I want - including your excellent naming - except rather than having to calculate the radial and distance first, I'd like to just click the map to create the waypoint, and then say 'tell me what this waypoint is relative to XXX VOR'. Does that make sense?

Otherwise, unless you want to get the map and protractor out, you have to guess the radial and distance, and fine tune the result. You can't see the result until you've OK'd it, and then when you go back to edit, the relative information is missing in the dialogue. It would also be good that when you go to edit a waypoint, that it remembers it was a relative bearing and what from. Your default naming tells me, but you still have to put the info in the fields again. I assume you just save the waypoint as a lat/long data so maybe this isn't easy? Just little suggestions, maybe other people's brains don't work the same way as mine...!
By Sky Painter - 7/11/2012 12:06:56 PM

vfr-uk (05/06/2011)
I guess another option would be to have a measurement type tool, so you can click on a nav-aid or whatever, and then click on a point on the map, to get a quick bearing and distance?

This sounds very much like the suggestion put forward in another thread:-

(http://www.skydemon.aero/forums/Topic5437.aspx)

which facility is apparently already available in the iPad version, but can't be made available in SD Mobile because of space constraints, but can we please have it in SD Planning. It would be soooooooo useful.
Edit:- ...and in Android in due courseBigGrin