SkyDemon Forums

Upload flight plans to Avidyne IFD

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic31532.aspx

By Marc_17 - 7/13/2020 7:38:39 PM

Tim Dawson - 6/29/2020 8:54:18 AM
We are indeed considering it.

We are also going to replace one of our old GNS430 by an IFD440 soon and would very much appreciate Skydemon to interface with the Avidyne IFD100 app in order to allow upload of flightplans to the device.

As we just got the information from Avidyne that Skydemon got all their data to be able to work with the IFD systems, we strongly expect Skydemon to provide this solution soon. Else Skydemon wouldn´t be an option in future. We would very much regret this, hoping for a good solution which allows to continue using Skydemon also in combination with the Avidyne IFD applications.
By Tim Dawson - 7/14/2020 8:59:17 AM

You have been misinformed by Avidyne.

Also, there is nothing whatsoever stopping their app from accepting flightplans from SkyDemon right now, and facilitating their upload to your device.
By Tim Dawson - 7/27/2020 9:36:48 AM

You misunderstand. Whatever the status of a direct link from SkyDemon to Avidyne systems (which we may or not not offer in the future) there is nothing stopping them from accepting routes from ANY app to their own app, and then facilitating the upload from their own app to the IFD.
By Tim Dawson - 8/21/2020 2:04:11 PM

I confirm the next version of SkyDemon will be able to natively send your route straight to an Avidyne IFD.
By Schildaero - 8/22/2020 4:06:42 PM

Thank you so much for the good news Smile
By bonniepilot - 8/29/2020 12:29:43 PM

Just wanted to thank the team at SkyDemon! I opened this threat and requested this feature only eight weeks ago and you made it happen already. This is fantastic! When will it make it from beta to public?

Thanks again,
Steffen
By Schildaero - 8/29/2020 9:34:34 PM

I just tested today against the real hardware device: Position and Flighplan uplink worked directly without an issue, as expected.
By bonniepilot - 8/30/2020 7:00:56 AM

You on beta, right?
By RVator - 11/1/2020 8:26:41 AM

bonniepilot - 8/30/2020 7:00:56 AM
You on beta, right?

By Marc_17 - 11/19/2020 9:26:26 AM

There are great news on this topic:

In the meantime SD implemented the requested functionality to push flight plans to Avidyne IFD devices.

I highly appreciate this new feature and I´m very happy with it. That’s makes things really easy. It´s a pleasure! :-)

By bonniepilot - 6/27/2020 8:35:04 AM

Hi,
I'm a happy customer since 2013. I recently upgraded my avionics to an Avidyne IFD540 and now I'm badly missing the possibility to upload flight plans from SD to the IFD. The least thing I want to consider is moving on to that other software that really sucks so much so could you please consider this feature?
Thanks,
Steffen
By Tim Dawson - 8/24/2020 12:08:25 PM

We've just released this functionality in beta format if anybody would like to try it (that would be helpful).
By Schildaero - 8/24/2020 6:37:46 PM

I'am very pleased to do so. Is this beta published via the normal beta process?
For iPad I can see in Testflight the Version 3.14.2.254 and for Android it says there is no current beta.
For now I can test the iPad and Android version against the iPad IFD Simulator, I'll be at my plane earliest at the weekend.

cheers
Marco
By Schildaero - 8/25/2020 6:49:28 AM

Checked it on iPad Mini2  against the iPad IFD trainer, worked fine. Looking forward to test it on hardware, hopefully this weekend.
(First I had some issues that the IFD could not be found by SD, but neither did the IFD100 App, so I guess this was more of a general iPad/Wifi issue. I fixed it by restarting the iPad with SD and IFD100 and also Pressed the ower knob on the trainer IFD to reinitialize the wifi networking.)

Thanks a lot.
By Tim Dawson - 8/25/2020 8:33:36 AM

Yes, it's only out on iOS beta at the moment. We will release another later today where you actually connect to the IFD and use it as a GPS source, and once connected, can transfer your route. Thanks for testing.
By Schildaero - 8/25/2020 8:54:40 AM

Roger. I am happy to help.
use it as a GPS source
That would be my next question, but already answered Smile. Is it still then be possible to retrieve GDL90 traffic from another source in the same wifi (e.g. stratus, stratux etc.)?
By Tim Dawson - 8/25/2020 10:54:14 AM

Not if you're connected to an IFD, no.
By Schildaero - 8/25/2020 3:02:19 PM

Just tested the update against the trainer, first I got the position corretly but sending the route failed with the message "Disconnected". After restarting SD once it works correctly and I cannot reproduce that issue.
Another issue I had at least twice: When swtiching back from the IFD100 (or any other app) towards SD, position in SD could not be established with message showing "Device offline since 200 seconds". I assume SD was not yet completely suspended by iOS during background time, since the legal disclaimer was not shown during return. Also no route could be send. To solve the issue, I stopped the flying mode and started it again.

[quote Is it still then be possible to retrieve GDL90 traffic from another source[/quote]
Not if you're connected to an IFD, no.
Understood. So that would be then my next feature request. My current setup is, that die IFD connects to the stratux, so I am able to send the flightplan to the IFD and get the stratux GDL90 traffic into SD (and also on IFD100 when using iPad).
So that would mean I use the stratux as source to have traffic. To send the flightplan, I would need to stop the flying mode, start the flying mode with the IFD, send the flightpland, stop the flying mode and start again the flying mode with the GDL90, to have traffic again. That would be a bit unhandy. So maybe activate the Share-Via again? That would enable to stay in the GDL90 source flying mode while sending the route.
I can image that having the IFD as the source and GDL90 (or other) traffic simulataniously is more of a bigger change, so that would be a feature request for the future.
Don't get me wrong: I am already happy now to have the export function at all on iPad Smile
By Cap10B - 8/25/2020 4:01:18 PM

Hi Tim and Hannah

Great news. Working well on the IFD trainer app and IFD100 on another iPad. Just to confirm that SD will use the GPS data from the IFD now, as well as sharing flight plans.

Dave
By Tim Dawson - 8/26/2020 10:15:02 AM

Yes Dave that's correct.
By Marc_17 - 7/24/2020 11:19:55 AM

Tim Dawson - 7/14/2020 8:59:17 AM
You have been misinformed by Avidyne.

Also, there is nothing whatsoever stopping their app from accepting flightplans from SkyDemon right now, and facilitating their upload to your device.

It is not Avidyne who is not accepting flightplans from 3rd party apps like Skydemon. It is the app developer who needs to implement this functionality to push/receive flightplans to/from Avidyne panel mounted IFD devices.

As Avidyne presented in their webinars, they are open to all 3rd app party developer (such as ForeFlight etc,) and for that reason provide required information to allow the implentation of this comfortable flightplan push/receive functionality.

Following youtube video shows how easy it is with ForeFlight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbektB-985c#action=share

Would be great if Skydemon would allow the same in future. If they won´t do so, we need to change to another app such as ForeFlight to use this comfortable flightplan transfer functionality of our new IFD device..
By Schildaero - 8/12/2020 11:05:46 PM

Hi folks,
With great support from Avidyne (Thanks to all the Steves Smile  I could mangage to write an App on Android to push the SD Flightplan to the IFD:
I really enjoy doing flightplanning in SD and just hop in the plane, push the route and go flying. Can't wait to have it directly integrated in SD.

Actually there is. I tried also to make an iPad app, and spend several days to consume the flightplan. However on iPad if you export a route, only if the ios Mail Client is selected as sink, all route files are exported. If any other sink/app is choosen, only the .flightplan file is exported (maybe this is a bug?), which does not contain Names of the waypoints, which is not really sufficient for the IFD.

So my request would be: Export all files to all applications. (And also I like to have the function in SD integrated Smile )

Meanwhile, anyone interested can send me a pm with the email address used a the google play store, and I can invite you to the closed tester.

@Tim: Please feel free to contact me if I can somehow support you on that topic.

Best regards
Marco
By Tim Dawson - 8/13/2020 9:16:38 AM

Nice work Marco!
By Andreas Cordes - 8/17/2020 5:33:52 PM

I am a happy user of Marco's app. He was kind enough to make it available for free. I am super pleased with his work. It is great to be able to copy a complex flight plan with departure turns, mandatory reporting points and traffic patterns into the IFD within a second. I would not want to  iss this feature.
I really hope that SD will cooperate with Marco in order to "officialize" this tool
Andreas
By Cap10B - 11/5/2020 9:05:33 AM

Hi

Will it be (or is it now) be possible to screen share the IFD100 app with SD on IOS as Avidyne just demonstrated on YouTube with Foreflight. No rush at the moment!

Dave
By Tim Dawson - 11/5/2020 9:37:30 AM

SkyDemon works split-screen with any app that also supports it.