SkyDemon Forums

Finding waypoints

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic29143.aspx

By 177 - 4/21/2021 10:42:00 AM

Is it possible to search with 'Find tool' (Ctrl+F) nearby ground facilities (VORs, DMEs, NDBs, marker beacons etc.) and other stuff like fixes (VRP's, IFR wpts) without entering their names? Or even better, just add some dedicated filter buttons in search window to find them more quickly. Even my old JeppView from 2000s can do it. Also, as the OP mentioned above, you still need to enter full name in order to find something (e.g., if I look for NIMUL wpt, it doesn't show anything even if I type the first 4 characters - NIMU). It really needs to be improved

;

By Tim Dawson - 4/22/2021 9:25:58 AM

Feel free to suggest an alternative algorithm that will address the issues raised but will not detract from any existing used search behaviour.
By David N. - 4/22/2021 10:32:35 AM

Tim Dawson - 4/22/2021 9:25:58 AM
Feel free to suggest an alternative algorithm that will address the issues raised but will not detract from any existing used search behaviour.

Tim,
I have no idea what lies behind the existing algorithm as my earlier/originating issue still persist.
If I am looking for LUXAL, the outcome is still identical as previously. 

What would help me, would be an algorithm with the following approach:
Note that this will primaly/only be relevant during flight.
During flight (Go fly) , 'Direct to' ... : (Maybe discard any match fx > 100nm away.)
Entering L, I would expect any matches complying to L*, including LUXAL, sorted by distance 
Entering LU, I would expect any matches complying to LU*, including LUXAL, sorted by distance 
... and so on.
Currently LUXAL is *NOT* shown until you make the full spelling, which doesn't make any sence to me ... why isn't LUXAL shown until fully spelled?

By Tim Dawson - 4/22/2021 3:00:33 PM

Because a search for lu* would produce hundreds of results. Also, why would we assume you're typing the beginning of a waypoint? Many people would search by the second word, or a piece of the work that will quickly filter down the number of results.
By David N. - 4/23/2021 11:13:15 AM

Tim Dawson - 4/22/2021 3:00:33 PM
Because a search for lu* would produce hundreds of results. Also, why would we assume you're typing the beginning of a waypoint? Many people would search by the second word, or a piece of the work that will quickly filter down the number of results.

Tim,

I am aware that 100's will fit a criteria of LU*, which is why I suggested that distance limitation could work to reduce the share amount of hits/matches. Note that I consider this relevant during flight which also could support a distance limitation as anything very far away most likely will not be relevant. Alternatively could be a sorting by distance. I dont think that there will many LU* matches within 100NM (pls note that I am not talking about *LU* but only LU*). 
Nobody is assuming that I am looking for waypoint (dispite this would be highly probable during flight) but I am still puzzled why I am not getting a match/hit during the typing of LUXAL. It seems that waypoints are discarded in the current algorithm.
This is not a theoretical issue but a practical problem (diversion by ATC) that I (and others) have encounted and I am trying to find a good solution for that should be workable within SD. The above mentioned solution does in my perspective handle this issue.
By Tim Dawson - 4/27/2021 11:45:28 AM

We've tweaked the search behaviour in the forthcoming version to allow partial matches for 5-letter designated points, during flight, for those points within 60nm. We will see (in this thread) whether this is a positive change.
By David N. - 4/27/2021 11:54:04 AM

Tim Dawson - 4/27/2021 11:45:28 AM
We've tweaked the search behaviour in the forthcoming version to allow partial matches for 5-letter designated points, during flight, for those points within 60nm. We will see (in this thread) whether this is a positive change.

Tim,
Much appreciated. I will test and revert on my experience within this thread.

By David N. - 8/5/2019 11:49:43 AM

At a recent flight in Polen, I was diverted to waypoint 'LUXAL' during flight. Due to turbulent weather, difficult communication and very limited airspace/time to navigate within it would have been nice if options that would fit the search criteria would be a bit more intelligent. LUXAL does not appear as a waypoint until you have typed the the full name dispite it should be evident (based on distance) when either LU or LUX has been entered.
During flight, I pushed the SD icon (top left), pressed 'Direct to' & 'Find':
Typing L - gives 25-28 options, none is LUXAL
Typing LU - gives 1-2 options, none is LUXAL
Typing LUX - gives 1-4 options, none is LUXAL
Typing LUXA - gives 0 options, none is LUXAL (obviously) 
Typing LUXAL - gives 1 (correct) option

This contributes to unnecessary high mental workload.
Please make it more logical/intelligent.