SkyDemon Forums

Jeppesen chart abo

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic27752.aspx

By Mike Stueber - 2/12/2019 11:24:54 AM

hallo
Tim Dawson - 2/12/2019 10:36:39 AM
Can you give some examples where VFR approach information isn't easily available in SkyDemon but where Jeppesen provide it, and their associated cost?

Hello Tim,

shure:

Whith Jeppesen -Europe you have all approach plates and all the informations to every airfield in the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Eswatini, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lesotho, Lithuania, Macedina, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Kosovo, Slovakia, Slovenia, South African Rep., Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.

In SkyDemon one has to buy especially: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Sweden, UK, etc., if you want to have the VFR-approache plates This is very, very more expensive (and not complete).

I hope you understand my ambition.

Kind regards,

Mike

By Tim Dawson - 2/12/2019 3:30:51 PM

You didn't say how much a Jeppesen subscription to all those countries costs?
By grahamb - 2/12/2019 4:47:10 PM

Tim Dawson - 2/12/2019 3:30:51 PM

A subscription to the VFR Mobile Flight Deck product for all of Europe is €349 for the first year and €297 for subsequent years. Individual countries range from €49/€42 (Slovakia) to €229/€195 (France or Germany).
By Tim Dawson - 2/13/2019 10:48:17 AM

I believe in the vast majority of cases SkyDemon will be cheaper, even if one buys a couple of national visual approach chart products.

Mike, it isn't correct to list all those third-party products in SkyDemon as a comparison because they are not all visual approach chart products. Furthermore, the aerodromes covered by the products we resell will be a different set than the ones Jeppesen sell.
By rgessner - 9/17/2019 11:34:30 AM

Tim Dawson - 2/13/2019 10:48:17 AM
I believe in the vast majority of cases SkyDemon will be cheaper, even if one buys a couple of national visual approach chart products.

Mike, it isn't correct to list all those third-party products in SkyDemon as a comparison because they are not all visual approach chart products. Furthermore, the aerodromes covered by the products we resell will be a different set than the ones Jeppesen sell.

As a former Jeppesen VFR FliteDeck user, I can only endorse the request for full Jeppesen VFR approach chart support.

With the discontinuation of Jeppen VFR FliteDeck many users are looking for a new solution.

The big advantage of the old Jeppesen solution was the complete availability of VFR approach charts for the whole of Europe in a uniform look-and-feel of information. This is a huge advantage for people who fly cross-border in Europe. You don't have to adapt to many different designs of approach charts, you always know immediately where to find the information you are looking for.

And as already written here about the costs, the complete Europe version of the Jeppesen VFR charts costs €99,- for Foreflight.

With a similar offer for SD you could surely get many of the former Jeppensen VRF Flitedeck users excited about SD. Especially since Foreflight is much more expensive.

By bkj5 - 11/22/2019 10:12:33 AM

Tim Dawson - 2/12/2019 10:36:39 AM
Can you give some examples where VFR approach information isn't easily available in SkyDemon but where Jeppesen provide it, and their associated cost?
For example Krems-Langenlois LOAG is misleading/wrong in Skydemon! If it is correct in Rogers-Data I don´t know as I still have a Jeppesen Paper-Subscription. When this will be discontinued I will for sure change to FF as I know the Paper-Rogers and this is not for me. I don´t expect the Electronic-Rogers to be any better!
I made my decision for Skydemon as I dislike Apple for various reasons but obviously in Aviation one gets forced to use an Ipad sooner or later. So once Jeppesen discontinues the Paper-Edition and Skydemon does not integrate Jeppesen charts until then I will have to change my setup - and obviously this step will have to be a complete one ...
By Tim Dawson - 11/22/2019 11:22:05 AM

Wow, this really is the thread that keeps on giving, isn't it? Let me set out the facts:

Some people want Jeppesen plates for various reasons
Jeppesen is in direct competition with SkyDemon
FF is owned by Boeing, the same company that owns Jeppesen, so of course they integrate the plates

I hope this makes it obvious why it is highly unlikely you will ever see Jeppesen plates available in SkyDemon. Since there are other products that integrate those plates, you're in luck! Simply use those other products if having the Jeppesen plates is important to your mission profile.
By bkj5 - 11/25/2019 7:03:48 AM

Thank you Tim for clarification. I was not aware that Jeppesen looks at Skydemon as competitor. I really thought they would sell their service to everybody who pays for it! Stupid me ...
By stipe - 6/23/2021 11:05:33 AM

Tim Dawson - 11/22/2019 11:22:05 AM
Wow, this really is the thread that keeps on giving, isn't it? Let me set out the facts:

Some people want Jeppesen plates for various reasons
Jeppesen is in direct competition with SkyDemon
FF is owned by Boeing, the same company that owns Jeppesen, so of course they integrate the plates

I hope this makes it obvious why it is highly unlikely you will ever see Jeppesen plates available in SkyDemon. Since there are other products that integrate those plates, you're in luck! Simply use those other products if having the Jeppesen plates is important to your mission profile.

Shouldn't be the reason, e.g. you can also run Microsoft applications on MacOS, Apple iPhone also integrates the Google Maps app, and so on.
The possible integration of Jeppesen charts into Skydemon is a reason to stay with Skydemon for some users.
By Dema - 2/9/2019 8:35:23 PM

Dear,

Each country offers the possibility to buy a subscription for their charts. Eg: Skyguide for Switzerland, Avioportolano for Italy, DFS for Germany, Rogers for Austria and so on.
Why not to develop an integration with Jeppesen chart? Did you already evaluate this opportunity?
Jeppesen charts (approach, area, etc.) are all the same style and they have essential info specific for VFR flights, and you can find many useful info (PPR? Customs? Etc) in an easy way and in one place (it’s not always easy to find some specific rules for GA flight in Civil Text info for some aerodrome...).

Many thanks for your attention.
Andrea.
By EHOW flyer - 3/5/2019 11:48:52 AM

grahamb - 2/12/2019 4:47:10 PM
Tim Dawson - 2/12/2019 3:30:51 PM

A subscription to the VFR Mobile Flight Deck product for all of Europe is €349 for the first year and €297 for subsequent years. Individual countries range from €49/€42 (Slovakia) to €229/€195 (France or Germany).

You can add optional VFR packages to any FF subscription, the Jeppesen VFR plates (formally known as Bottlang) costs only €99/year, EU coverage! I do not whether these charts are also georeferenced.
So SD, yes please!

By jazondag - 2/17/2019 7:06:28 PM

By jazondag - 2/17/2019 7:09:57 PM

jazondag - 2/17/2019 7:06:28 PM

TIm, it is all about what customers want, I personally would like jepp charts even if they are a few euros more, and I do not believe it is such a big deal for SD. give customer the option, it will strenghthen SD not weaken your position.