SkyDemon Forums

Airport as waypoint?

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic27662.aspx

By kakugo - 1/24/2019 3:49:38 PM

kakugo - 1/24/2019 3:06:45 PM
Hi,
I have a stupid question: why if I use an airport as waypoint, in the ICAO flight plan form it is represented by its coordinates instead of by its ICAO identifier?
For example, this toy route:

(LSGG) S LFLP SJ DGN (LFMD)

is translated as

DCT LSGGS DCT 4556N00606E DCT SJ DCT DGN DCT

Isn't an airport a significant point, whose designator code (the ICAO code) is a perfectly valid route point?

Thanks for the clarification!

I finally took the time to discover that this question was asked several times in the past, and that apparently an airport is NOT a "significant point", so one cannot use an ICAO identifier as a waypoint according to ICAO rules.
So, I'm satisfied with the SD behaviour in this respect.
Incidentally, I have to say that in 10 years I've consistently used also town names and purely geographical names as route points in my VFR plans in France and Switzerland and I never received a single complaint nor any of my flight plans was ever refused due to the routing information... But I am certainly not arguing that SD should do that. Smile

By Martin Bech - 1/24/2019 7:00:25 PM

Just for your information, if flying in Morocco it is mandantory to use names as waypoints. The flightplan will be rejected if you do not use names.
By kakugo - 1/24/2019 3:06:45 PM

Hi,
I have a stupid question: why if I use an airport as waypoint, in the ICAO flight plan form it is represented by its coordinates instead of by its ICAO identifier?
For example, this toy route:

(LSGG) S LFLP SJ DGN (LFMD)

is translated as

DCT LSGGS DCT 4556N00606E DCT SJ DCT DGN DCT

Isn't an airport a significant point, whose designator code (the ICAO code) is a perfectly valid route point?

Thanks for the clarification!