SkyDemon Forums

Obstacles Switzerland

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic26736.aspx

By Tim Dawson - 8/28/2018 1:35:40 PM

But then we'd still be loading all those obstacles into memory (for the many obstacle related calculations we do) just electing not to display them. There isn't an option to selectively load only a subset into memory, based upon this theoretical helicopter switch. And we'd be introducing yet another option, which we dislike and confuses people.
By Chris_LSZO - 8/31/2018 12:54:54 PM

Tim Dawson - 8/28/2018 1:35:40 PM
But then we'd still be loading all those obstacles into memory (for the many obstacle related calculations we do) just electing not to display them. There isn't an option to selectively load only a subset into memory, based upon this theoretical helicopter switch. And we'd be introducing yet another option, which we dislike and confuses people.

Sad(
By Gerhard66 - 9/1/2018 2:16:32 AM

Hi Tim,

this switch already exists in the aircraft setup menu (airframe type)!

I guess, the additional memory needed for a larger obstacle database wouldn't be a serious problem on modern handheld devices....

Gerhard
By Chris_LSZO - 9/2/2018 6:25:42 PM

And about the memory: Maybe you can handle it like the High Resolution Terrain data (load or delete from memory if needed).

Chris
By Tim Dawson - 9/3/2018 11:06:39 AM

Sorry, it simply isn't the same. It might seem a simple thing to make Switzerland work differently from all the other countries and include those low-level obstacles, but people would then (rightly) expect such coverage in other countries too (where information is not published) quite apart from what I have already described.

Is this request attempting to solve a problem many pilots are facing in Switzerland? I still don't think I am understanding the requirement for enroute obstacles that are less than 200ft high, as I don't understand why a significant number of pilots are flying at that height (in the enroute phase).
By Chris_LSZO - 9/3/2018 12:40:47 PM

Tim Dawson - 9/3/2018 11:06:39 AM
Sorry, it simply isn't the same. It might seem a simple thing to make Switzerland work differently from all the other countries and include those low-level obstacles, but people would then (rightly) expect such coverage in other countries too (where information is not published) quite apart from what I have already described.

Is this request attempting to solve a problem many pilots are facing in Switzerland? I still don't think I am understanding the requirement for enroute obstacles that are less than 200ft high, as I don't understand why a significant number of pilots are flying at that height (in the enroute phase).
- 200ft are not enough with non horizontal cables
- In case of an engine failure and emergency landing it will be good to get a warning about cables
- In switzerland it is legal to land helicopters everywhere

I understand it will be a special thing (maybe) only for Switzerland... But I would like to ask for it Smile

Chris
By Chris_LSZO - 8/22/2018 4:27:39 AM

Hi

In Switzerland we have a lot of cables and other dangerous stuff. Unfortunately Skydemon don't show some of them.
Here are the official source, in this example 2 cables are visible and they are missing in Skydemon.
Here you can download the *.kmz-file of all obstacles.

Could you fix this please? Thank you.

Chris
By Tim Dawson - 9/4/2018 12:17:19 PM

Your request has indeed been noted. Thank you.