SkyDemon Forums

PilotAware and simultaneous GPRS Connection

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic24950.aspx

By BoNeHeAd - 12/9/2017 10:42:27 AM

Hi all. Sorry if this has been asked.. a search didn't turn up any results.

‌‌I use SkyDemon and an iPad Pro in the cockpit, connected via wifi to PilotAware. Both fantastic products.

Currently, I just update SD before I head out to the aircraft so live data is then turned off to avoid the nagging connection issues. But what I would like to do is drop a sim card into my iPad and actually use live data while in flight.

So the question is, does anyone have experience with this setup? Can the iPad gather live data via GPRS while connected by wifi to the Pilotaware? Or will it be trying to get data ONLY from the wifi connection and therefore report no connection?

T‌‌hanks in advance.

/‌BoNeHeAd
By AM22 - 8/25/2023 9:45:11 AM

BoNeHeAd - 12/9/2017 10:42:27 AM
Hi all. Sorry if this has been asked.. a search didn't turn up any results.

I use SkyDemon and an iPad Pro in the cockpit, connected via wifi to PilotAware. Both fantastic products.

Currently, I just update SD before I head out to the aircraft so live data is then turned off to avoid the nagging connection issues. But what I would like to do is drop a sim card into my iPad and actually use live data while in flight.

So the question is, does anyone have experience with this setup? Can the iPad gather live data via GPRS while connected by wifi to the Pilotaware? Or will it be trying to get data ONLY from the wifi connection and therefore report no connection?

Thanks in advance.

/BoNeHeAd

Yes it is possible.
You have to set a static IP in the wifi settings. To do this, click on the blue "i" in the wifi settings of the ipad. There enter the data of the attached image.
f4e8221ad1c74a6441a911512e551b6b.jpg

(confirm after each input with Return, so that the input of the line is accepted)
If you enter it correctly, you will be on wifi, but access to the internet will be through the mobile network.
The wifi is not displayed in the bar at the top. Only the available mobile data connection is displayed there. So do not be surprised.

The setting is saved. The ipad dials into the wifi as soon as it is available.
I use this option myself to let SD communicate with my Dynon Skyview via WiFi and get weather information from the internet via GSM at the same time.