SkyDemon Forums

What's here SD 3.8.1 PC Win 10

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic23470.aspx

By Tim Dawson - 6/5/2017 3:11:52 PM

1. The What's Here screen is a tooltip on PC; it has always appeared when the mouse stops moving as that's what tooltips do. It's just become a bit bigger and better recently.

2. The font rendering should be every bit as beautiful as it is on the main map. Screenshot attached. If it isn't, I can only really suggest‌‌ checking your font smoothing settings, wherever they might be.
By peterb - 6/8/2017 1:55:31 PM

Umm.  Up to a point Lord Copper.  I'm used to tooltips appearing when the cursor is over a tool, but defining the entire working area of a window as a "tool" seems to be stretching the term a bit.  By analogy, the context menu in the typical office application only appears when you right click in the document.  MS Word with menus and information appearing every time the user leaves the pointer in the active window would not be popular.  Having to click to make the what's here disappear or quickly put the cursor into one of the supporting panes is, er, a pain.

R‌egarding the rendering, if it's the same throughout, I'll try tweaking ClearType.
By Tim Dawson - 6/12/2017 10:12:10 AM

Please note that we haven't changed when the tooltip appears. For the last seven years of SkyDemon, it has appeared when hovering the mouse virtually anywhere in the main map.
By jfw - 6/12/2017 12:12:26 PM

Tim Dawson - 6/12/2017 10:12:10 AM
Please note that we haven't changed when the tooltip appears. For the last seven years of SkyDemon, it has appeared when hovering the mouse virtually anywhere in the main map.

‌I acknowledge this tim, but I have always found this annoying, hence I used my iPad for planning.
After all it is not because it has always been like that that you can not change it :-)
Thanks again for the great software !‌
By ajmc - 6/14/2017 10:34:05 AM

I have also just come to the forum to enter this very same issue.  When planning a flight I now get a good proportion of the screen covered by 'whats here' whenever I stop for a few seconds to peruse the map to look for waypoints, or other features.  I never noticed this getting in the way before.  So I also see this as a big step backwards in usability, and would love it to either be configurable, or put back as it was before.

M‌any thanks

A‌ndy.‌‌
By T67M - 6/14/2017 10:55:32 AM

I think what has happened is that the size of the "What's Here" popup has crossed the boundary between "mildly irritating" and is now "annoyingly intrusive".

‌‌Right click sounds like the right solution to me, and is in line with the Windows-and-mouse paradigm which is distinctly different from the paradigm on a pure touchscreen interface.
By peterb - 5/31/2017 8:42:52 AM

I use SkyDemon on a Windows 10 PC and a pair of iPads.  The "What's here" function on iPad is excellent, but the implementation on PC has two niggles for me:

1‌.  It pops up whenever the cursor stops moving.
T‌his is a pain from a usability perspective; most of the time I want to see the map, not "What's here", so every move of the mouse must be followed by a click to remove the unwanted information box.  This differs from the behaviour on iPad, where you must do something to make the box appear - ergonomically the right way ‌around.  It would be better, and more consistent, to make "What's here" on the PC require a mouse click, just as it requires a screen tap on a tablet, IMHO.

2‌. The fonts on the PC version are not well rendered.
T‌he iPad version uses nicely rendered fonts, readable, elegant, just what you'd expect.  The PC version doesn't and isn't.  I freely admit that this is a minor niggle, but ‌the aesthetics of SkyDemon is one of its strong points.  I suspect someone will tell me that in the PC version, the "What's here" box is rendered in the same way as all the other map text, which I can believe, but the ratty anti-aliasing is more noticeable against the plain white background of the "What's here" box and there is an expectation that although the map is a graphic and the labels can be a bit rough around the edge,  in this context text is text and should be treated accordingly.
By jfw - 6/9/2017 7:54:39 AM

peterb - 6/8/2017 1:55:31 PM
Umm.  Up to a point Lord Copper.  I'm used to tooltips appearing when the cursor is over a tool, but defining the entire working area of a window as a "tool" seems to be stretching the term a bit.  By analogy, the context menu in the typical office application only appears when you right click in the document.  MS Word with menus and information appearing every time the user leaves the pointer in the active window would not be popular.  Having to click to make the what's here disappear or quickly put the cursor into one of the supporting panes is, er, a pain.

R‌egarding the rendering, if it's the same throughout, I'll try tweaking ClearType.

Personally I would also prefer to have the "What's Here" via right click
By Sky Painter - 6/9/2017 1:29:19 PM

jfw - 6/9/2017 7:54:39 AM

+1
By GEAR - 6/9/2017 4:34:17 PM

Sky Painter - 6/9/2017 1:29:19 PM
jfw - 6/9/2017 7:54:39 AM

+1

+1
By efrenken - 6/10/2017 5:09:47 AM

Count me in. +1