SkyDemon Forums

Flight logging during aerobatics is inconsistent

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic20904.aspx

By cyberkryten - 11/25/2016 11:42:00 PM

S‌kydemon is great, runs brilliantly on my Android tablet most of the time

‌‌I was hoping to use it analyse things and overlay a plot with my GoPro footage but I find that during aerobatics practice it gets very confused about speed/altitude and sometimes stops logging entirely.

Looking through the exports files there are various points where the GPX file has no <ele> tag for an entry, which corresponds to a line in the KML file where the elevation is shown as zero.

S‌imilarly, there are times when both the KML and GPX files show speed as 0.000000‌
‌‌
I assume that that the sudden height changes coupled with short periods of zero groundspeed during a vertical ascent are probably confusing things - I assume there's some sort of 'sanity check' applied which is deciding the data is invalid?

A‌fter three entries where Speed is 0.00000 and ele is recorded as -46.11624‌ (!!) it terminated the log and then restarted in a new log.

I‌ understand that this isn't an issue for 99% of flights and that those checks are probably in there for good reason, but is there any chance of getting an aerobatics toggle so that the checks can be disabled and it just logs exactly what the GPS tells it?‌‌

‌‌
By Tim Dawson - 11/30/2016 9:41:35 AM

The system to determine when you've stopped flying consists of more than one check, including time, speed and altitude. There's not much sense documenting it here because it's subject to change, but you really do have to have landed (or be hovering very close to the ground) before SkyDemon deems you to have landed. Alternatively you can completely lose GPS signal for a period (maybe 30 seconds, certainly no less) and SkyDemon will stop logging then too.