SkyDemon Forums

Great Circles

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic19428.aspx

By peter@luthaus.de - 7/27/2016 12:01:14 PM

Hello,
suggested by Tim I post this request in the forum for discussion. I noted (it was already mentioned in the forum) that SkyDemon uses generally rhumb lines to connect waypoints. I find this unsatisfactory and annoying. Industry standard and the wanted way is great circles. There are many reasons why great circles should be used (compared to none using rhumblines):
1) Great circle is the standard for GPS navigation, so built in certified GPS use it and Skydemon is not consistent with the track actually flown even producing off track warnings.
2) For planning the total distance is not so different for short legs, but the off course deviation can be quite large. E.g planning from EDLW to EPWR the rhumb line goes through EDDP Delta, the great circle passes it completely.
3) Most pilots use Lambert projection charts approximating the earth's convergency for planning. So the straight lines drawn on paper will be close to great circles and it is unexpected that skydemon shows a different route.
4) Radials are great circles
5) Airways are great circles
As I find the rhumb line really a nuisance and also other pilots I know do so I suggest changing to great circles. I hope this could be implemented soon.
Peter

By checklist - 7/19/2020 1:25:29 PM

Just found on Skydemon facebook:
And it works :-)
Thank you. Great job !!!

The next version of SkyDemon will use great circles when you plan a new route. Previous versions have always used rhumb lines.
Unless you're planning journeys with exceptionally long legs (hundreds of miles), this will likely make no difference to you. For interest, though: for the same leg from A to B, a great circle will have a shorter distance and a rhumb line will have a steady track over the ground. If you're using a GPS to navigate with (as most now are), great circles make more sense.
Routes saved from previous versions of SkyDemon will continue to use rhumb lines, so you'll see no change when you load a route you've carefully planned to avoid airspace and other features.
Long great circle legs are identifiable by their curved appearance on a Mercator projected map.