SkyDemon Forums

Warning: SkyDemon automatically replaced approach chart RW09 for RW27 prior entering the circuit!

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic13371.aspx

By Job_NL - 9/25/2014 9:32:33 AM

A dangerous situation occurred when I pre selected the visual approach chart RW09 for EHMZ. About 6 NM from the airfield, just before turning downwind, I noticed that SkyDemon had replaced my selected approach chart RW09 for approach chart RW27! The same situation occurred when approaching and selecting the correct plate (overlay mode) for EHGG, when navigating into the circuit SkyDemon replaced the chart with another approach plate. I was very confused at that moment, not sure what happened and questioned my selections. 
After doing some investigation, I found out that SkyDemon is auto selecting plates for you based on location (georeferencing auto selections). I reproduced the situation on my iPad afterwards using the simulation mode. A friend of mine had a similar situation where SkyDemon replaced the selected approach chart for EHHV with an incorrect approach plate now displaying the wrong approach procedure. This auto loading of plates is clearly not working when multiple runway specific plates are available for an aerodrome. Now I cannot thrust the approach charts I select anymore. Unfortunately you cannot switch this off. This leads to confusion and dangerous situations during flight. Tim Dawson, could you make sure this feature can be switched off in a next release?
By markus - 9/29/2014 7:35:50 AM

I found that to be inconvenient as well - not in case of separate approach charts for e.g. RWY 09/27, but for airports having terminal vfr charts, circuit charts and so on.

For example, when flying in Egelsbach, EDFE, it is favorable (for me), to have the (bigger) terminal/arrival chart depicted at all (or most) times, as it shows me the VRPs, the routes from the VRPs to the airfield and so forth. Now, SD automatically switched to the smaller VFR approach plate, just depicting the patterns - which is not the chart i wanted to look at that moment.

Though the automatic mode is very useful in most cases, if you are flying in and out of a field having multiple charts, it can be bothersome.

I am looking forward, to have some kind of option to make the overlay (sticky - maybe a pin/tag/lock symbol!?)